Re: Comment on working draft "Specifying Language in XHTML and HTML Content"

Some comments:

Since the meta element puts few limits on what you can say, it would also be
possible, though not very common, to express language information using
Dublin Core notation.
Example 3:

This is extremely obscure. If you really need very obscure stuff, it should
be in an appendix, and clarified ("Dublin Core notation"?)

In the meantime, we recommend that you use HTTP headers and meta elements to
provide document metadata about the language of the intended audience(s),
and language attributes on the html tag to indicate the default
text-processing language. Furthermore, we recommend that you always declare
the default text-processing language.

Getting people to do one thing -- correctly -- is hard enough. Asking them
to distinguish between the language of the document and that of the intended
audience is way too far. Best practices should be aimed at getting the 99%
case right, then point to a different document for the edge cases that won't
matter anyway because nobody will do them correctly so they can't be relied
on.

In general, for each of the items you list, unless you can show a substantial
functional difference, a way in which users of the page will see a
substantial positive or negative impact, you should consider withdrawing the
advice.

Best Practice 13: Using Hans and Hant
codes<http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/tech-lang.html#ri20040429.113217290>

This also goes for some other cases like uz_Arab. You might list the common
cases where a language uses multiple scripts.

Best Practice 15: Using hreflang with
CSS<http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/tech-lang.html#ri20030112.224458239><http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/tech-lang.html#ri20050128.152033553>

I'm really leery about this one. It is extremely fragile. If you really
wanted to mark the language of an HTML document pointed to, this is
something that the browser would have a much better job of doing, since it
could fetch the start of the page (working in the background) and pick up
the actual language used on the page. So if you are evangelizing anyone, I'd
think it'd be browser vendors.

Saw a couple of spelling errors also, so you might spell-check.