From: mark.edward.davis@gmail.com [mailto:mark.edward.davis@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Mark Davis
Sent: 20 April 2007 21:00
To: Richard Ishida
Cc: www-international@w3.org; LTRU Working Group
Subject: Re: For review: Tagging text with no language

Richard, getting back to the topic of XML, it sounds like we have three cases, illustrated by the following example:

In the first foo construction, we are saying that it inherits the language "en". The second and third construction are equivalent: we are overriding the "en" setting, and saying that foo is undetermined with regard to language. The difference between them is that:

* the second construction can't be used in XHTML (or any other case where a DTD or schema requires a value).

* the third construction can always be used, but shouldn't be used if the second can be.

Mark