RE: For review: Tagging text with no language

Hello Richard,

Overall, this looks good to publish. But a few points:

There is some hickup in the sentence "This is an attempt to capture some ideas in a thread on www-international@w3.org and a later reprise of that those ideas to which several people contributed."

Probably "that those" -> "those".

I'd also change "attempt to capture some
ideas" to something like "summary of discussion". The former doesn't
fit well to an FAQ item, and it doesn't reflect the fact that the
discussion was pretty conclusive.

At the very end, you write: "Martin Du"rst points out that you can redefine the XHTML/HTML format within the document to create an HTML/XHTML page that validates while using lang="" or xml:lang="". This is not recommended for widespread use, however."

I'd change the last sentence to use the point provided by Frank
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2007JanMar/0141.html).
So I'd write something like "However, such a document is no longer
strictly conforming in the sense of XHTML 1.0."
This makes sure that people know what the issue is.

Another point, probably long-term: I found the text visually difficult
to read at some points because for me, there is not enough distinction
between the plain language of the text and the formal elements that are
interspersed. Things such as "zxx" and "und" appear in the middle of
the text as if they were English words. Looking at the issue in Amaya,
I discovered that most (but not all) of these instances are carefully
marked up with <code>, which is definitely appropriate. However, except
in Amaya, where the monospace font is serif (typical Currier style),
browsers (I checked Opera, Firefox, and IE6)
use a monospace font that is extremely close in x-height, width,
and everything else to the rest of the text. And the items themselves
are too short, and contain no letters like m/w or i/l which would
make it easy to distinguish monospace and proportional fonts.
So I think you should look at slightly reinforcing the style
difference.

Regards,   Martin.