Re: [atom-syntax] Atom bidi

Copy to: public-i18n-geo@w3.org

James Snell wrote in http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg18925.html

> To: atom-syntax atom-syntax@imc.org
> Subject: Atom bidi
> From: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com
> Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:20:28 -0700

> As an alternative to adding the dir attribute to rfc4287, I've published
> draft-snell-atompub-bidi-00.txt as an extension in a separate namespace.
>
> As always, feedback is requested and welcome.
>
> - James

The goal and the draft seem good to me.

There are at least 4 specifications to define the directionality of text
in xml format:

specification: Atom Bidirectional Extension
URI: urn:ietf:id:draft-snell-atompub-bidi urn:ietf:id:draft-snell-atompub-bidi-00
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-snell-atompub-bidi*
attribute: dir
values: ltr, rtl, lro, rlo
xml namespace: http://purl.org/atompub/bidi
status: working draft

specification: XHTML 1.0
URI: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1 http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xhtml1-20020801
attribute: dir
values: ltr, rtl
xml namespace: http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
status: usable

specification: XHTML 2.0
URI: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-bidi.html#adef_bidi_dir http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xhtml2-20060726/mod-bidi.html#adef_bidi_dir
attribute: dir
values: ltr, rtl, lro, rlo
xml namespace: http://www.w3.org/2002/06/xhtml2/
status: working draft

specification: Internationalization Tag Set 1.0
URI: http://www.w3.org/TR/its/#dir-sec http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-its-20060518/#dir-sec
attribute: dir
values: ltr, rtl, lro, rlo
xml namespace: http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its
status: working draft
editor: W3C Internationalization Tag Set working group http://www.w3.org/International/its/

XHTML 1.0 is the only specification which is not a working draft, but its
dir attribute does not allow "lro" and "rlo" values.

I do not guess XHTML 2.0 will be usable before a long time.

What are the roadmap for "Atom Bidirectional Extension" and
"Internationalization Tag Set 1.0" ? On the today speed, when are they
sheduled, when can we hope, that it will be internet^W xml standard and
published as "W3C Recommendation" or "IETF RFC" ?

Could it be avoided having two spec for the same purpose ?

See also
- Richard Ishida, "What you need to know about the bidi algorithm and inline
markup", http://www.w3.org/International/articles/inline-bidi-markup/
- W3C Internationalization Tag Set working group, "Best Practices for XML
Internationalization", section 2.2 "Provide a way to specify text directionality",
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/#DevDir
- James Snell, "Adding bidi support to Atom", http://www.snellspace.com/wp/?p=470
- James Snell, "Atom Bidirectional Extension", http://www.snellspace.com/wp/?p=484
- "PaceAtomBidi", http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceAtomBidi
- "FAQ: Bidi formatting codes vs. markup in (X)HTML",
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-bidi-controls
- "FAQ: CSS vs. markup for bidi support",
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-bidi-css-markup