Re: non really unicode- Need your help to collect LC_STOCK_COLOR

This message is from Philippe Verdy, I only forward it to this list.

-- Felix

------- Forwarded message -------
From: "Philippe Verdy" <verdy.philippe@wanadoo.fr>
<unicode@unicode.org>, "WWW International" <www-international@w3.org>
Subject: [Moderator Action] Re: non really unicode- Need your help to
collect LC_STOCK_COLOR
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:52:35 +0900

Certainly not an issue of the Unicode standard itself, but such data may
eventually be part of the CLDR database (hosted by Unicode). I would also
suggest that the abence of color in a locale (or the definition of such
data
in the root locale should be "default", meaning that a sign must be
provided
for numeric values. The color may also be used for displaying other data
than just numeric values like quotes, ratings and exams notes (for example
quality adjectives, or the anglosaxon A through F levels).

In addition, a third color should be necessary for flat rates (unchanged or
insignificant change, with a minimum positive threshold that can be
determined by the site): this is needed to make sure that it will contrast
with the two other colors.

These colors should be virtual (i.e. treated as symbolic names), not
absolute (meaning something other than just a RGB color, for example a
shading pattern for monochrome devices). An application may use variations
of the same color (for example with varying hue, to exhibit the strongest
changes). The color symbolic value may also be used to select icons with
the
appropriate color (such as arrows, triangles or angles).

As an interesting extension, may be, the meaning of the geometric
directions
up and down, may be eventually different from the concept of high and low
amounts in some languages (higher or better may be the right direction and
lower or worse may be the left direction, and the third color could also
mean average).

Note that the concept stored in the locale data (which is not only color)
could be different than just up and down, it could be also good and bad,
where good is actually small, and bad is high, for something else than just
stock quotes.

This would imply further study...

Note: by the way, I think that almost all Europe (at least Western Europe,
including DE, GB, FR, CH, IT, ES, PT, NL, BE, LU, IE) uses +Red and -Green
like in US.

And the direction is up and down for all major official European languages.

Note that this last remark may not be true for some regional European
languages. For example in Breton and probably in other Celtic languages,
upper is East or right and lower is West or left, like the sun movements in
the sky. So the icon used may be an arc of circle with a pointing arrow, or
a straight oblique arrow which ends like such arrow, or may be an arrow
with
an oblique radius, for example / for up and \ for down).

The direction of the arrow may also depend of the directionality of the
script used to write some languages (just think about the direction of the
include on GUI buttons like Next and Previous. When the symbol is encoded
as
part of the text label of the button, it should behave according to the
directionality of the text (or the directionality applied to the interface,
so the Unicode "mirorred" property may (and should) be used for that
purpose. The interface should also be built according to the main
directionality of the locale (the first button is not necessarily the
leftmost one), so buttons may need visual reordering (for example this
locale-sensitive behavior is implemented in Swing since Java 1.4 within its
container components).

Philippe.