FW: Creating a PDF file with UTF-8 encoding through Servlet

Sorry, sent this message to Khurram only, not the list.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruno Girin
Sent: Tue 5/24/2005 11:39 AM
To: Khurram Ilyas
Subject: RE: Creating a PDF file with UTF-8 encoding through Servlet

Addison, that's the whole point of Sourav's question: a PDF file is binary file that contians text data. As a consequence, you need to specify the encoding of the text data so that the computer that will read the PDF can properly read the binary stream and translate it into the correct characters to display.

To achieve this, you need 3 things:
1. the servlet needs to encode the binary stream using an encoding that is able to encode the totality of the character set used in the document. If it is Japanese, the best encoding is probably UTF-8.
2. the servlet needs to specify that same encoding in the content type
3. the PDF file presumably needs to contain encoding data so that the file can be re-read by a PDF viewer independantly of the download

To do 1, you need to enclose the output stream into an OutputStreamWriter that specifies the encoding, such as:
Writer wout = new OutputStreamWriter(out, "UTF-8"); // out being the output stream obtained in Sourav's step 2
then you call wout.write() and other Writer methods

To do 2, you just specify the encoding as part of the content type:
response.setContentType("application/pdf; charset=utf-8");

3 is dependant on the API you're using to create your PDF file. I don't know PDFlib so can't tell you what the call is.

Good luck with this.

Bruno Girin
Chief Technical Architect
Cambista Technologies Ltd