RE: New article for REVIEW: An Introduction to Multilingual Web Addresses

Hi Mark,

Yes, I considered this, but then realised that I was thinking of a translation into English - which wouldn't help everyone, and may appear Western biased.  So in the end, I just left the transliteration.

(It's also a tricky question whether FermentedSoyaBeans is a good translation for a company selling natto.  It's an accurate description, but long and from a marketing perspective doesn't sound appetising ;-) )

('rei' means 'example')

> 2.
> >This document was submitted for consideration for the IETF standards
> >track
> in May 2004 and has just completed Last Call, but has been in
> development as an Internet Draft for some time.
>
> It is odd to mention that it was in development for a long
> time if it is in last call now. Disconcerting. Wouldn't you want:
>
> This document was submitted for consideration for the IETF
> standards track in May 2004 and has just completed Last Call.

Yes, this sentence was a fumbled attempt to say that despite the fact that it's not a standard it has been around long enough to influence various things.  I will wait to see what the status is at time of publication of this article, and rewrite the sentence.

> 3. Additional problems
> It needs to be clearer that URI != IRI, and (at least from
> what you say in the text), URIs are completely broken.

I couldn't see where you get the idea that URIs are completely broken in a non-specific sense.  It's true that they don't support non-ASCII characters, but when they are resolved for lookup IRIs are converted to URIs using the existing % escape mechanism. In fact, the worked example of 'Resolving a path' actually says that the 'string is now in URI form'.