RE: New article for REVIEW: An Introduction to Multilingual Web Addresses

Hi Mati,

Thanks for these comments. See below...

I changed the text.

> 2) Later, the article switches to "IRI", and does not explain
> the difference between URI and IRI, if any.  Confusing.

Fairly near the beginning of the article, (beginning of the section 'The
Problem') IRI is introduced for the first time with:

"We will refer to web addresses that contain characters outside those
defined by RFC 2396 (ie. roughly stated, non-ASCII characters) as
Internationalized Resource Identifiers or IRIs." and bolding for the new
terms. The earlier changes I made where URI is introduced now look more like
this too, so hopefully this is not such a problem now.

> 3) Here is an example of using URI and IRI as interchangeable
> in the same sentence:
> "The user clicks on a hyperlink or enters the URI in the
> address bar of a user agent. At this point the IRI contains
> non-ASCII characters that could be in any character encoding."
> More confusion!

This indeed was a problem.  I went through the document and converted some
URIs to IRIs.  Thanks.

> 4) The expression "user friendly for humans" is a bit
> redundant (unless the "I" in "IRI" stands for Intergalactic :-).

True. Changed.

I guess I was trying to say something like 'ordinary mortals', ie. not the
sort of person who can read a W3C or IETF spec, much less escaped URI
characters.  ;-)

> 5) I would change
> "it is converted to Unicode, using the UTF-8 encoding, and
> normalized using Unicode Normalization Form C."
> "it is converted to Unicode, normalized using Unicode
> Normalization Form C and encoded using the UTF-8 encoding."

Thanks.  Done.

> 6) You write "If the string is already in Unicode, it is not
> changed in any way. Otherwise, ..."
> This implies that a string already in Unicode will not be
> normalized.  Is that true?
> It also implies that if the string is encoded as UTF-16, it
> will not be converted to UTF-8.  Is it so?

Let me get back to you on this after double checking.

> 7) On my system (MS IE under WinXP with Hebrew locale, no
> Japanese fonts installed), all the Japanese characters in the
> examples are displayed as small rectangles.  Since the
> article is meant for a large audience, most of which does not
> have Japanese fonts, it might be better to pack the examples
> as images.

A perennial problem.  I was thinking to provide a link to a free TT/OT
Japanese font, and create a alternative PDF document for people for whom
that solution doesn't work.  I guess I should have done that already for
you. Sorry.