From: www-international-request@w3.org
[mailto:www-international-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Sue Ellen Wright
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 10:50 AM
To: Tex Texin; www-international@w3.org
Cc: Yves Savourel
Subject: Re: I18n recharter should address localizability

Hi, Tex, et al.,
I really think that you've raised some critical issues here. I'm in the
process of writing one of my recurring articles on language industry
standards, and am tracking the W3C i18n evaluation of its mission at the
same time that LISA/OSCAR is trying to redefine its goals for the near term.
Whenever I delve into these issues I'm struck by the activity that's going
on in a variety of venues, which brings up concerns about long-term
interoperability of different standards efforts. There's even the problem of
providing information in such a way that everybody involved knows what other
players are up to. I see duplicated effort in some regards (not right here,
but in some other areas), and the initiation of very similar projects in
different contexts. Duelling standards sometimes evolve and
inter-organizational rivalries sometimes exist (Group X members for instance
may represent companies that stormed out of Group Y at some time in the past
...). Somewhere we need to have an entity that if nothing else keeps track
of what's going on and monitors interoperability issues. Heaven save us from
anything like a cohort of "standards police", but the diversity of projects
that are out there underscores a real need for the kind of liaison you are
suggesting.

Lurking as usual
Sue Ellen