From: "Carl W. Brown" <cbrown@xnetinc.com>
To: <www-international@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 07:56
Subject: RE: Can servlet know the timezone of the browser?

> Mark,
>
> > People may differ in what they think of as a locale. We tend to
take a
> > narrow view, that it is principally items that differ according to
> > language, thus excluding other items like preferred timezone,
> > preferred currency, preferred character set, smoker/non-smoker
> > preference, meal preference (vegetarian, kosher, etc.), music
> > preference, religion, party affiliation, favorite charity, etc.
> >
> > It is not that these other items may not be important; they may
very
> > well be, depending on the application. And thus one may need to
> > communicate them. But they don't necessarily belong in an
> > all-encompassing 'locale'.
>
> You are right that you have to draw the line somewhere.  I used to
think of time zones as separate from locales until I became more
familiar with Olsen time zones.  He establishes times zones that are
unique subdivisions within a country.  This makes sense since each
country has political control over time zones.  The time zone
parameters are regional data within the country data.  It is
sub-country data like language within a country may vary to produce
sub-languages.