Re: charset list

A. Vine wrote:

>Mozilla (may also apply to Netscape 6)
>http://www.mozilla.org/projects/intl/chardet.html

A better list is to look at is from the source (isn't open source nice):

 http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/intl/uconv/src/charsetalias.properties#33

The above file has a long list of name-value pairs.  The names are the
recognized charset values used by Mozilla and Netscape 6 -- these are
what you are allowed to use in your HTML or XML charset specifications.
 (The values are the internal names used by our Unicode converter.)

But to determine which charset name you use in your server or in your
content, you should refer to the IANA list for the preferred internet
name which is sometimes one fo the aliases and not necessarily the
officially registered name.

>Mail client generated names and mail server recognized names can also be useful,
>but there are way too many of them to list, and this info is usually not readily
>available.

Mail charsets are trickier.  While the core mail RFCs allow any charset
encoding, there are other RFCs (e.g., for Japanese) and other internet
conventions which enourage the use of certain charsets for certain
languages to enhance interoperability.  When creating new email,
Mozilla/Netscape restricts the user to sending in charsets an accordance
with these charsets.  For the charsets that Mozilla/Netscape allows in
sending email, look here:

http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/xpfe/browser/resources/locale/en-US/navigator.properties#29

 intl.charsetmenu.mailedit=ISO-8859-1, ISO-8859-15, armscii-8, ISO-8859-4, ISO-8859-14, ISO-8859-2, GB2312, Big5, KOI8-R, windows-1251, KOI8-U, ISO-8859-7, ISO-2022-JP, EUC-KR, ISO-8859-10, ISO-8859-3, TIS-620, ISO-8859-9, UTF-8, VISCII  <http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/xpfe/browser/resources/locale/en-US/navigator.properties#30>

You can also see this in the View menu of the mail compose window.

However, when reading email, Mozilla/Netscape is lenient and handles
additional charsets.

>Michael Gorelik wrote:
>
>>I can see that lots of japanese pages use x-sjis, x-jis, x-euc-jp charset.
>>However, I don't see those defined in IANA registry???

When Netscape first implemented support for many of these charsets over
6 years ago, they had not been registered with IANA.  The "x-" prefix is
the standard MIME mechanism for "experimental" values.

-bob