RE: Extended Characters in Server Names

As Tim Greenwood mentioned, some months ago I did write an article on
this topic, which you can find at
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/unicode/library/u-domains.html?dwz
one=unicode

Unfortunately, the conflict described in the article has really not died
down... continued difficulties get in the way of the Working Group's
charter, as various groups raise significant issues such as how to deal
with Han character differences in Simplified Chinese, Traditional
Chinese, Japanese, etc.

In the meantime, a number of companies are registering names as
previously mentioned, and there is a very real fear that we are heading
away from a web that is world wide, and toward a web which is regionally
fragmented. This will happen if people put systems in place without
agreeing to abide by the standards which the WG is working toward.

Suzanne Topping
BizWonk Inc.
stopping@bizwonk.com