Re: First steps

Esteban,

Govind Shesharid wrote a short tutorial on the subject that you may find
interesting:
http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-03-ssj-jsp.html

> How do I write a document template in japanase?
Just send your template to your translation agency and let it come back to
you translated. Specify to them the encoding in which you want to receive
the file back (let's say Shift-JIS).

When your file comes back add the header at the top of your file
<%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=SJIS" %>
and the statement in your code before any output is produced:
HttpServletResponse.setContentType("text/html;charset=SJIS");

For your Resource Bundles you'll need to process them with native2ascii
before compiling them (check out
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/ResourceBundl
es/ for more info)

> but still doesn´t ´translate´ the template to the
> language in wich it has to be shown.
Language and encoding are two different things. In your case, you will need
to specify the language you use via the locale so Java can select the right
ResourceBundle and specify the page encoding so the strings can be correctly
transmitted to the client. The tutorial I pointed out should explain you how
to set the locale and my short explanation above should help you with the
encoding part.

Cheers,
Thierry Sourbier
www.i18ngurus.com - Open i18n resources directory