Language detection or Character Encoding detection (was: RE: Automatic Language Detect)

James - Are you speaking about language detection or detection
of character encoding (codepage/'charset'/whatever you call it)?

Though the two are somewhat related, they are actually different.
The method name that Chris is giving below seems to indicate
that this is about detection of character encoding.

Regards,   Martin.