From: James Turley [mailto:jturley@xai.com]
Sent: April 19, 2000 4:29 PM
To: www-international@w3.org
Subject: Automatic Language Detect

Hello...

I will jump in here, re language Auto Detect for Win9x/NT/2K platforms.

I always wondered how IE5 "Autodetected" languages

through the [Right Mouse Click]-->Encoding-->AutoSelect

process. And..I was hoping never to have to write

one to support the 127 locales supported by Windows 2000.

Well...seems like you don't have to write any code, due

do some undocumented but useful features of Jet. 4.0.

While I was giving a seminar in Redmond, a reliable but

unamed PM from MS Office 2K let me in on the secret.

Microsoft Jet OLEDB 4.0 Text and installable

indexed-sequential access method (IISAM) uses

MLANG.dll which provides Language autodetect functionality

for all MS products through "Extended Properties" setting. You get

this for free with all MS OS's and maybe MacOS.

So...if you are using ADO (DAO works too, I am told)...

in VB for example, just set up an ADO connection,

set Provider as "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" and

set Properties("Extended Properties") = "TEXT;CharacterSet=Detect;" &

   "Locale=ALL;"

This will return an enumeration recordset of "guesses" about the locales

represented

by your text, sorted in best guess order.

Pretty good..and you don't even have to write any code.

I think it may work on mac too.

email me offlist for some coding fragments.

Jim Turley, XAI mailto:jturley@xai.com

--

XA International                        14510 Big Basin Way, #240

Contract Programming Agency             Saratoga, CA 95070

International Software Engineering      mailto:info@xai.com

http://www.xai.com

+1 408 741 5577 Voice                    +1 408 741 0512 FAX