Re: Arabisation and character sets

At 10:26 AM 3/31/98 -0500, you wrote:
>À 11:23 31-03-98 +0200, Reinier van Kleij a écrit :
>>   - ALis Tango and MS IE 4.0 (on Arabic Enabled Windows) render
>>     iso-8859-6 correctly
>>   - Netscape on an Arabic Windows and Netscape with Shakr
>>     plug-in on "normal" Windows do not render correctly.
>>   - using the proprietary Microsoft standard Windows 1256 all
>>     browsers render correctly.
>
>Render correctly?  May I suggest that you introduce a hyperlink or a word
>in bold in the middle of any line, and see what happens?  Watch word order...
>
>>It seems hilarious to me that we must use a proprietary Microsoft standard
>>in order to have Netscape render correctly.
>
>Hilarious yes, but less so if one considers that you are (apparently)
>testing on a Microsoft-proprietary platform.  Not that you have so many
>other options for Arabic...

Francois,

Yeah, but the philosophy behind the (Netscape) browser was to get rid of
the OS's peculiarities, right?

So, even when I am running Netscape on a Microsoft OS, it should not behave
itself this way. It should look at the <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
CONTENT="text/html;charset=iso-8859-6"> and say "Hey, this is iso-8859-6 so
let's render it". Netscape should not assume that all files it reads are
saved with the character set of the OS it runs on...

Again it seems that IE is a little more "democratic" than Netscape: at
least it recognizes the Content-type tag, so it does not force us to use
the MS code page 1256...

Reinier
+---------------------------------+
| Dr. Ir. Reinier van Kleij       |