Re: Date and time format (Was: Re: Euro currency sign)

On Oct 23,  9:07am, Jukka Korpela wrote:

> In that draft, the datetime <i>attribute</i> of INS and DEL is required to be
> in "ISO date format", referring to ISO 8601.

My italics ;-) yes and of course it is entirely reasonable there.

> Moreover, requiring _full_ ISO date and time format, although somewhat
> inconvenient to HTML authors, is necessary to resolve ambiguities arising
> from the fact that there are different time zones. When 3rd February
> begins where I live, people in the US will still be living 2nd February.

Yes. There is still a minor item to be resolved - apparently 8601
cannot represent leap seconds - but apart from that, a single machine
readable date and time string whichh can be directly related to UTC1 is ideal.

> Naturally, authors can use whatever format they prefer in the _text_ of
> their documents.

Yes, which was the point of my earlier post.