Re: Language label

Albert Lunde wrote:

> It seems to me that If one was doing content-negotiation on language one
> would want language to appear in the HTTP headers. If we didn't want in in
> the headers, why did we define a header for it?

Content negotiation (except transparent content negotiation) does not
require that the content be labelled, only that the recipient indicate
the recipient's preferences.

The "content-language" header was invented for text/plain. For plain
text,
there is no embedded way to indicate the language, so a header is
appropriate.

> This was discussed in the past on IETF lists (html-wg and/or http-wg). It was
> suggested that there were various applications for a format for
> meta-information within a file system as well as "over-the-wire". This may
> not just be an issue for HTML. I thought one of the most pointed cases for
> this could be made for storing data on a CD-ROM.

You might consider an ".asis" file to be "message/http"

--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter