Re: Language label

At 23:30 28/02/97 +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:
>On Feb 26,  9:15am, M.T. Carrasco Benitez wrote:
>
>> I have the feeling that there is consensus (please give a signal) for
>>
>>  <HTML LANG=xx>
>
>That correctly says that the entire document (well apart from the
>doctype ;-) is in language xx. So for example the title, any keywords
>in meta, etc plus the body content.

According to RFC 2070, the LANG attribute may be overriden for document
elements. The attribute on the HTML tag is the base or default language for
the entire document.

In practice, one may expect that in most cases most (if not all) of the
document will be in the language specified in the HTML tag, with some pieces
in other languages, for example quotations or references.

--

Jonathan Rosenne
JR Consulting