Re: Language label

Larry Masinter wrote:
> I do not believe that it is necessary to label content with
> a content-language header if the content self-identifies its
> language with <HTML LANG=xx> or <BODY LANG=xx>.

As far as I understand the situation, it would be nice to have that
information extracted and put in the header for the HEAD request.
I don't know which type of client could benefit from this, but perhaps
somebody else does.

> The "charset" information is NECESSARY to interpret the
> body (of text/* types) and thus MUST appear in the header.

Yes, but...
There are enough web admins who don't want to know anything about their
servers. That means the users can't put charset info in the header.
META tag is the only thing that remains, at least for text/html.
Disclaimer: just describing current practice...

--
They work 24 hours a day and 256 days a year  --  root@fly.cc.fer.hr

dave@srce.hr
dave@fly.cc.fer.hr