Re: qa-byte-order-mark + qa-utf8-bom

Hi Richard,
The prophecy
It is expected that the next version of Internet Explorer will revert to
the previous behaviour, which will then be in line with the other major
browsers.
««
didn’t come true. IE 11 still shows the same behavior (tested on a
virtual machine from modern.IE on a Mac).

Change “IE10 gives” to “IE10 and IE11 give”.

HTTP precedence
««
Doesn’t this heading suggest (contrary to the following content) that
HTTP takes precedence over BOM? Is the heading a remainder from the
times when this was the case and when this changed you edited the
content but left the heading?

Shouldn’t it better read “Precedence over HTTP”?

With the introduction of U+2060 WORD JOINER, there's no longer a need to
ever use FEFF for its ZWNSP effect
««
add 'U+':
With the introduction of U+2060 WORD JOINER, there's no longer a need to
ever use U+FEFF for its ZWNSP effect

In the graphic http://w3.org/International/questions/images/bom.png
you’ve added 'U+' before the hexadecimal code points. Those should have
at least 4 hexadecimal digits, 'U+21' should read 'U+0021'.

I’ve photoshopped the leading zeroes in. <del>File attached.<del>
<ins>Original plan changed. I won’t send the file to the mailing list.
;-) You can get the file from
http://dev.bittersmann.de/International/questions/images/bom.png You’ll
find the file attached to another mail containing my translation of this
article, though.</ins> You can see it in action at
http://dev.bittersmann.de/International/questions/qa-byte-order-mark#bomwhat

recognised
Typo recognised. ;-) If the W3C still require you to use US spelling, it
should be “recognized”.

<link rel="stylesheet"
href="/International/style/article-display-html5.css" type="text/css" />
««
Other articles like
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-visual-vs-logical link also
to /International/style/article-print-html5.css. Should this artcle?

But best practice is to use only one stylesheet.

<!-- remove the following local css declaration if there is nothing to
add -->
<link rel="stylesheet" href="yyy-style.css" type="text/css" />
««
The link should be removed. It causes an unnecessary HTTP request that
results in a 404 error.

Some clean-ups:
ins { background-color: yellow; }
del { color: gray; }
««
This was probably for the editing/review period. There are no ins or del
elements anymore, the styles can be removed.

  <!--<h2 id="yyy"><a href="#yyy">Clone this heading template for
non-faq articles</a></h2>-->
««
can be removed as well.

     <section></section>

     <section>
       </section>
     <section></section>

                   <section>
                   </section>
                   <section>
                   </section>
««
Remove useless empty containers.

And what about my concerns about lost content in non-English languages?
I wrote (2014-01-15 11:12+01:00):

 > AFAIS, the previous version of qa-byte-order-mark “The byte-order mark
 > (BOM) in HTML” and the late qa-utf8-bom “Display problems caused by the
 > UTF-8 BOM” have become the content of just one article: the current
 > qa-byte-order-mark “The byte-order mark (BOM) in HTML”.
 >
 > There are some problems:
 >
 > (1) The same content is available under two different URIs
 > http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-byte-order-mark and
 > http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-utf8-bom which is not good.
 > It shold be a redirect from qa-utf8-bom to qa-byte-order-mark with HTTP
 > status code 301 Moved Permanently.
 >
 > (2) The article appears twice in the article list
 > http://www.w3.org/International/articlelist#characters under different
 > names.
 >
 > (3) Translations of qa-utf8-bom are lost. The link “Display problems
 > caused by the UTF-8 BOM” leads to the content of “The byte-order mark
 > (BOM) in HTML” for all translations, but there are no display problems
 > featured in the article since translations of qa-byte-order-mark have
 > only the original content.
 >
 > The temporarily best solution might be to reinstall the translations of
 > qa-utf8-bom [1] and to set up a redirect just for the English version,
 > i.e. from qa-utf8-bom.en(.php) to qa-byte-order-mark.en(.php).
 >
 > When translations of qa-byte-order-mark will be updated [2], set up a
 > redirect for those languages as well.
 >
 > [1] My old German translation of qa-utf8-bom attached, in case you
need it.

 > [2] I have already asked you to send me the source file of the current
 > version of qa-byte-order-mark.

Cheers,
Gunnar