Re: qa-byte-order-mark + qa-utf8-bom

On 27/02/2014 12:20, Gunnar Bittersmann wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> The prophecy
> It is expected that the next version of Internet Explorer will revert to
> the previous behaviour, which will then be in line with the other major
> browsers.
> ««
> didn’t come true. IE 11 still shows the same behavior (tested on a
> virtual machine from modern.IE on a Mac).
>
> Change “IE10 gives” to “IE10 and IE11 give”.

That's remarkably good timing. For the last couple of days I've been
planning to find someone who could run those tests for me to confirm
that what the Microsoft folks told me did actually happen. I'll change
the text.
So thanks!

Actually I just downloaded IE11 to my Windows7 computer. It means I
can't test IE9 now, but it's probably better this way.

> HTTP precedence
> ««
> Doesn’t this heading suggest (contrary to the following content) that
> HTTP takes precedence over BOM? Is the heading a remainder from the
> times when this was the case and when this changed you edited the
> content but left the heading?
>
> Shouldn’t it better read “Precedence over HTTP”?

Well, it's 6 of one, and half a dozen of the other. But the issue is
that HTTP still has precedence in IE.

> With the introduction of U+2060 WORD JOINER, there's no longer a need to
> ever use FEFF for its ZWNSP effect
> ««
> add 'U+':
> With the introduction of U+2060 WORD JOINER, there's no longer a need to
> ever use U+FEFF for its ZWNSP effect

Fixed.

> In the graphic http://w3.org/International/questions/images/bom.png
> you’ve added 'U+' before the hexadecimal code points. Those should have
> at least 4 hexadecimal digits, 'U+21' should read 'U+0021'.
>
> I’ve photoshopped the leading zeroes in. <del>File attached.<del>
> <ins>Original plan changed. I won’t send the file to the mailing list.
> ;-) You can get the file from
> http://dev.bittersmann.de/International/questions/images/bom.png You’ll
> find the file attached to another mail containing my translation of this
> article, though.</ins> You can see it in action at
> http://dev.bittersmann.de/International/questions/qa-byte-order-mark#bomwhat

Well, it's normal but not a hard and fast rule - i made it shorter so
that it stood out more.  I'm fine with your change in the de version though.

> recognised
> Typo recognised. ;-) If the W3C still require you to use US spelling, it
> should be “recognized”.

Fixed. (Well, changed anyway ;-) )

> <link rel="stylesheet"
> href="/International/style/article-display-html5.css" type="text/css" />
> ««
> Other articles like
> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-visual-vs-logical link also
> to /International/style/article-print-html5.css. Should this artcle?
>
> But best practice is to use only one stylesheet.

I no longer remember why I initially separated them, so I integrated
them in the new style sheet I'll be making live soon.

> <!-- remove the following local css declaration if there is nothing to
> add -->
> <link rel="stylesheet" href="yyy-style.css" type="text/css" />
> ««
> The link should be removed. It causes an unnecessary HTTP request that
> results in a 404 error.

True. Removed.

> Some clean-ups:
> ins { background-color: yellow; }
> del { color: gray; }
> ««
> This was probably for the editing/review period. There are no ins or del
> elements anymore, the styles can be removed.

Done.

>          <!--<h2 id="yyy"><a href="#yyy">Clone this heading template for
> non-faq articles</a></h2>-->
> ««
> can be removed as well.

Done.