Re: Comment on LTLI WD: purpose?

Hello Anne,

I think you are right that it is difficult to understand
at the moment why this document is needed on top of what
in a few weeks or months should be BCP 47 (what's currently
RFC 3066bis + the current matching draft).

I think there are various reasons for this. Because this is
only a first working draft, we can still improve this.
Here a few suggestions (mostly for Felix):

- Mention the relevant IETF base specs explicitly in the
   abstract. [but avoid copying the abstract in the STOD]

- Reduce definitions. Terms such as "extended language range"
   should not be redefined here. The correct way to write
   this is not
     [Definition: An extended language range is a language range
      as described in sec. 2.2 of [RFC 3066bis].]
   but something like this:
     This documents uses the terms ..., "extended language range",...
     from [RFC 3066bis].
   This will be much shorter, and avoids the impression that
   "extended language range" is a term invented in this spec.

- Don't hide what specs should do in a conformance section.

- Don't mix basic explanations (incl. definitions) with content
   of the spec, as in section 2.2. You can't *define* language
   and locale identifiers (or tags, the term 'values' is a bad
   choice in this case) to conform to RFC 3066bis syntax and
   then again *define* in very general terms what these things
   are for.

Anyway, this is just a first draft, so further suggestions
of how to improve the document are very welcome.

Regards,    Martin.