Re: Radio and checkbox texts

David Dorward wrote:

> On 23 Apr 2008, at 09:22, Anas R. wrote:
>> Don't you think that
>> <input type="radio">option1</input>
>> could be better than:
>> <input type="radio" />option1
>
> No, I don't.

Neither do I, but partly on different grounds.

> it is inconsistent with HTML 4,

Any change from HTML 4 is inconsistent with HTML 4

> inconsistent with what current
> browsers support,

Not really. They just ignore the </input> tag.

> inconsistent with how other inputs work,

That's just because _all_ input elements are poorly designed. They were
basically designed as commands, not elements. This is directly reflected
by the fact that most of them are empty (i.e., have EMPTY declared
content); for an explanation of this, see
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/empty.html#fields
where I suggest that the _logical_ structure would be to make the
_initial value_ the content of any input element, like we now have for
textarea.

> and less
> flexible than <input type="radio" id="foo"><label for="foo">option1</
> label>.

Which is a small monstrosity, requiring pointless invention and use of
identifiers. The logical structure would be to put the input field and
its label inside a container, roughly as you can say
at present, but the element namel "label" is quite illogical. (E.g.
"field" would be better.)

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/