Re: content type for XHTML fragments

Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com> wrote:

>> I assumed that the application *includes* the fragments, not parse them.
>> You need to explain further if that isn't the case.
>>
>My original post indicated, "A common use nowadays, especially with
>wikis and newsfeeds, is to store XHTML fragments (such as 'this is
><em>really</em> cool') to be later integrated into a larger XHTML
>document." By "store" I mean "store in some external file". By
>"integrated" I mean "gathered together and combined".
>
>I never indicated that the application would parse the fragments
>(although in my particular application this occurs)---even if no parsing
>takes places and simply inclusion is to occur, the application still
>needs to know whether it should render characters such as '<' verbatim
>or whether it should encode them.

The fragments are included to form a complete XHTML document, *that*
complete document may be parsed. I fail to see where in this scenario
the individual included fragments need to be parsed.

Btw, despite the loose nature of this particular w3 list, this "How do
I" topic is imo off topic for www-html and should be moved to a more
appropriate public place.

--
Spartanicus