Re: XHTML Applications and XML Processors [was Re: xhtml 2.0 noscript]

"John Foliot" <foliot@wats.ca> wrote in message

>I would, however, like to comment on the assertion that Bjoern makes that
>"...Users want web applications to respond to their actions before they
>have
>been fully loaded..."  While you have the right to your opinion, can you
>actually back this statement up with factual data that *proves* this
>statement?

Proves the statement?  I could show you (with appropriate NDA's and
agreement from 3rd parties) plenty of user testing that shows users start
interacting with any control as soon as they are able, it matters not if
"the whole document has downloaded" - that's simply not a concept the users
understand, they interact with things as soon as they are able - so as soon
as they are shown it, no matter how they are shown it.  And at the same time
they are not prepared to wait more than N seconds (and N varies between
people, and what they are expecting at the url.)  If your entire XML
document takes longer than N seconds to download, you need to have shown
them something - which means they will start interacting with it.

>  As I am primarily an accessibility advocate, I would venture to
guess that users of Adaptive Technology such as Screen Readers may disagree
with you; the way that they interact with web pages/application relies, in a
large part, with them being able to access all data in a linear fashion, and
not in a "whole page scan" model that most visual users would adopt.

So a screen user reader would expect a 1mb document to be fully downloaded
before it even started to read the first line? I am astonished to believe
that, surely they, like anyone else want to get to the content as soon as
possible, why would they want to wait, simply to be told "XHTML Applciations
and XML processors" etc.

Jim.