RE: XHTML Applications and XML Processors [was Re: xhtml 2.0 noscript]

Mark Birbeck wrote:
> Hi Bjoern,

>> Users want web applications to respond to their actions before they
>> have been fully loaded. So you need to run scripts before the
>> document has been fully loaded. And they will change the document.
>> And it will depend on how much of the document has been loaded how
>> these scripts behave. Which implies that you cannot make these two
>> modles behave in exactly the same way. And therefore your model is
>> not applicable in the general case. Responsive web applications are
>> more important than the "interoperability" in edge cases that you
>> desire.
>
> I'm afraid it might now be you who is trying to impose your world view on
> the rest of us; interoperability still has one or two supporters around
> the W3C, and as it happens, it is possible to define interoperable,
> responsive, web applications.

I have (quite rightly) stayed out of this conversation since I am not in a
position to comment on the technical discussion (although I do tend to agree
with Mark as I follow the thread).

I would, however, like to comment on the assertion that Bjoern makes that
"...Users want web applications to respond to their actions before they have
been fully loaded..."  While you have the right to your opinion, can you
actually back this statement up with factual data that *proves* this
statement?  As I am primarily an accessibility advocate, I would venture to
guess that users of Adaptive Technology such as Screen Readers may disagree
with you; the way that they interact with web pages/application relies, in a
large part, with them being able to access all data in a linear fashion, and
not in a "whole page scan" model that most visual users would adopt.  For
this reason, developers should actually avoid triggering user-actived
scripts part way through the load process
(http://juicystudio.com/article/making-ajax-work-with-screen-readers.php).

Just another wrinkle in the discussion.

JF