Re: [XHTML 2] 24.1 OBJECT declare and "completed loading" (PR#7751)

On Jun 1, 2005, at 04:25, Brad Pettit wrote:

> What if the Xhtml document is not well-formed?

In an incremental implementation, the processing the doc would halt
upon discovering the first fatal error.

> Even a non-validating Xml parser is required to check for
> well-formedness before determing whether
> the document is xml:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006#sec-conformance

A non-validating parser may optimistically start treating a document as
XML before it has seen the full doc. The application is free to act on
the data provided by the XML Processor before the XML Processor has
seen the full doc. The XML spec only says that the XML Processor MUST
NOT continue reporting data to the app after a fatal error has been
discovered.

> Document well-formedness -- or the lack thereof -- might not be
> determined until the end of the content is reached. Is it wise to be
> executing <object> elements -- particularly those that reference code
> external to the browser -- as they are encountered during the process
> of

I don't think it is necessary to refrain form acting on <object>s ASAP
in an incremental implementation.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi