Re: Abbreviations and Acronyms: [techs] Latest HTML Techniques Draft

In spanish (as used in Spain and defined by the royal academy, the
official standardisation body) the difference is as follows:

An acronym is something where you pronounce what is printed: "UN" or "HTML"
An abbreviation is something where you pronounce the full word: "Mrs" or
"Monday" (for mon.)

There is also the term in english "initialism", which I think corresponds to
the french "sigle" or spanish "siglas". In spanish it is a type of acronym.

I don't think it is as clear in english. The common reference for english
varieties of english would be Fowlers Usage (published by Oxford) but I don't
know what is regarded as standard for en-US.

For languages like Spanish, French, Latin and Icelandic (as spoken in Spain,
France and the Catholic Church and Iceland respectively) there is a legal
body which defines standards. English as far as I know doesn't have one
anywhere (although there are various bodies in soe english-speaking countries
which do deal with plain language, typically for legal stuff). So I don't
know if there is a standard english definition of the difference betgween
these two terms.

cheers

Chaals