Re: <NOBR> - Returning to the question....

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 05:52:30PM +0300, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> In practical terms, they seriously limit the number of browsing
> situations where the user sees the correct characters at all - or
> hears them. Not to mention all kinds of other software than browsers.
> I recently learned that Google translator cannot even handle a right
> single quote correctly, and it is a much better supported character
> than e.g. the minus character.
[...]
> The practical reasons alone should be overwhelming.

If we are to promote what's "practical" or "supported by existing
browsers", why not just declare MSIE the standard and disband W3C? After
all, this is the browser used by >= 95% of web users, and we aren't
likely to see either this number considerably decline or IE's standards
support considerably improve any time soon. So this is definitely the
most "practical" solution.

It's really a pity Mozilla, Konqueror and Opera invested so much effort
trying to make their browsers standards compliant, instead of working on
practical things like IE emulation.

-antrik-