Re: AW: AW: XHTML 2.0 and hreflang

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 13. November 2003 16:49 schrieb Ernest Cline:
> > Okay, example.
> > Some documents exist in German only, some in English only, some in both
> > variants.
> > Imagine the user agent is configured to only accept en.
> > start exists as start.de and start.en
> > The user will get start.en (user agent's choice).
> > Now he follows a link to a German page:
> > German</a>
> > Now he should get start.de (user's choice, overriding any content
>
> negotiation
>
> > because the language information is part of the resource name).
> >
> > - From the German page, he follows a link to another page with the
>
> following
>
> > hotspot:
> > Glossar">Glossar</a> Now he should get glossary.de if it exists,
> > glossary.en otherwise (user's choice, overriding the user agent's
> > configuration).
> >
> > Perhaps the term "user's choice" is a bit wrong here, but I can't think
>
> of a
>
> > better one. The choice if the user is based on the hyperreferences he/she
> > follows, not on the settings. I would normally not request the user to
>
> change
>
> > his/her user agent's accept language settings, since most average web
>
> users
>
> > would be swamped with tampering with their user agent's settings.
>
> While a very smart UA might do that, I think more useful that trying
> to put q-values into hreflang that should really be handled server-side
> in the first place would be if it encountered the following:

> that the user agent would make a default choice based on its settings
> and offer in for example a right-click menu a choice of any of the four
> language versions that the document asserts are available.

I like context menus offering choices, but I don't think that this alone is
the best solution.
I think it should be possible for a user to override both, user agent settings
and server priority of a language by simply following a hyperlink which says
e.g. "Polish" instead of tampering with settings or context menus.
Most users aren't aware of context menus.

I think a mixture of both would be best.

Bye
- --
ITCQIS GmbH
Christian Wolfgang Hujer
Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter (Shareholding CEO)
Telefon: +49  (0)89  27 37 04 37
Telefax: +49  (0)89  27 37 04 39
E-Mail: Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com
WWW: http://www.itcqis.com/