Re: AW: AW: XHTML 2.0 and hreflang

Note: You seem to be using "user" for two distinct things.
(1) The consumer of a document
(2) The creator of a document
I use "user" only for (1) and "author" for (2) to avoid confusion.

If, as you seem to be indicating, that it is important that an author
should be able to specify a language specific version of a document,
that would seem to call for using a URL that refers to just that version.

If for example, there existed on a server:
 doc.en.xhtml, doc.de.xhtml, and doc.pl.xhtml
Then it  should be possible to have doc.pl.xhtml always refer
the Polish version and doc.xhtml return anyone of the three
according to the user agent settings as set by the user, and
perhaps influenced by a context menu that offered a choice
of any of the three to the user.