-----Original Message-----
From: Jens Meiert [mailto:jens.meiert@erde3.com]

> perhaps reference to
> "favicon" belongs in a site's CSS instead

Why!? Otherwise please be consequent and stop all the object element
discussion and simply put all images into your CSS...!

I think the 'favicon' topic is very special, and I neither appreciate a
extra link element use nor a CSS integration for it, that's both inelegantly for
me. Either define a common place and name for it (as exists and often works
as 'favicon.ico' in the server root) and leave it from markup, or integrate it
e.g. as a <title /> attribute like

     <title icon="./foo/bar.gif" />

All the best,
 Jens.