RE: favicon.ico vs <link> - add link type for shortcut icon?

> 1) It *is* strictly presentation; the icon has no "content," no added
> meaning to the user. It simply offers a branding opportunity. Images
meanwhile
> *can* have content, and therefore may or may not make sense to be called
> from CSS.

But I question the general image use. If you really analyze it, they are
surely 99% of non-content nature. You are right saying they '*can* have
content', but mostly they do not (and so you 'can' use CSS for them). And as I said
before, the 'favicon.ico' is a special topic, I think.

> 2) Including it in CSS would resolve the issue of having to include a link
> rel="icon" tag on every page on a site. The CSS reference would resolve it
> as any site-wide CSS would reference the icon. Alternately, section-wide
> CSS may reference the icon, meaning different sections of a site could
have
> different icons (useful and sensible).

Yes, but that's 'spongy', isn't it? Instead of using <link /> for both fav
icon and CSS, you use a single <link /> element (and imagine you abstain from
CSS use, you still have to use it for your fav icon).

Nevertheless I feel better with the <title /> attribute suggestion. And
maybe you can even use some other format for displaying it (like I spelled it
wrong in the example by using 'bar.gif' instead of 'bar.ico').

 Jens.

--
Jens Meiert

Steubenstr. 28