RE: Re: Clarification needed on ALT/TITLE tooltips

Tantek Çelik wrote:

> [...] there is a very strong weighting of uninformed [...]
> folks claiming that Mozilla invented everything, did everything
> first, and never did any wrong, and the opposite for Microsoft
> [...]

I for one, have never claimed such a thing. I'm only stating that
IE6/Windows (which I forgot to specify in my previos mail) has
lousy standard support. I've also followed Mozilla and Opera's
development, and noted that these also have had bad support in
many areas. E.g. Opera's '­' bug have bothered

> Most of the time these folks ignore IE5/Mac (and in fact, the
> Mac in general), as being irrelevant, or treating it as if it
> never existed

I should have been more explicit with which IE I was talking about,
of course. Also, I didn't know there were differences on the ALT
issue in the Windows and Mac versions.

> because it blows a hole in their black and white vision of the
> world.

I'm not a fanatic. I don't view things as black or white. I don't
care which company sits behind technology or product X. But having
IE5-6/PC, knowing it is the most used browser on this planet, and
also knowing it has one of the worst standard support of all the
browsers worth mentioning, it makes me sad. Very sad.

I also feel a need to clarify what I meant with my previous mail,
and Jason M. Kikta summarized it pretty well, saying:

  "I think he was saying (as others have) that Microsoft should
   have gone with the superior IE5/Mac codebase and ported it to
   Windows, rather than trying (and failing) to fix its Windows
   cousin"

> Read the beginnings of this thread for example, where folks
> referred to "IE" as there was only one and without any knowledge
> of IE5/Mac.

It was a glitch on my behalf, which I'm sorry I commited.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg           -=|=-          X-No-Archive: No
"He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away"