RE: Re: Clarification needed on ALT/TITLE tooltips

--- Asbjørn_Ulsberg <asbjorn.ulsberg@nrk.no> wrote:

> Tantek Çelik wrote:
>
> > Most of the time these folks ignore IE5/Mac (and in fact, the
> > Mac in general), as being irrelevant, or treating it as if it
> > never existed
>
> I should have been more explicit with which IE I was talking about,
> of course. Also, I didn't know there were differences on the ALT
> issue in the Windows and Mac versions.

The biggest problem is that most users haven't even tried IE for Mac, so as far
as they are concerned, its the same thing as IE for Windows. Mac barely has
more of a user base than Linux, maybe twice the Linux base at most, as compared
to Windows which is a majority of the market, so people fall into the trap of
not even considering the Mac version of IE when talking about it because its a
small percentage of the users. Even more so, a good majority of web developers
wouldn't even have the capability to test it on their pages since they don't
own a Mac.

> > because it blows a hole in their black and white vision of the
> > world.
>
> I'm not a fanatic. I don't view things as black or white. I don't
> care which company sits behind technology or product X. But having
> IE5-6/PC, knowing it is the most used browser on this planet, and
> also knowing it has one of the worst standard support of all the
> browsers worth mentioning, it makes me sad. Very sad.

The other problem is that a lot of developers have an attitude, "Screw
standards, if it works in IE that's all that matters."

> I also feel a need to clarify what I meant with my previous mail,
> and Jason M. Kikta summarized it pretty well, saying:
>
>   "I think he was saying (as others have) that Microsoft should
>    have gone with the superior IE5/Mac codebase and ported it to
>    Windows, rather than trying (and failing) to fix its Windows
>    cousin"
>
> > Read the beginnings of this thread for example, where folks
> > referred to "IE" as there was only one and without any knowledge
> > of IE5/Mac.
>
> It was a glitch on my behalf, which I'm sorry I commited.

I agree that I would love to see Tasman eventually ported to Windows.Some web
developers need their pages "broken" (its their fault) by a major change in IE
to even consider following standards.