Re: Re: Clarification needed on ALT/TITLE tooltips

----- Original Message -----
From: "Asbjørn Ulsberg" <asbjorn.ulsberg@nrk.no>
Subject: RE: Re: Clarification needed on ALT/TITLE tooltips

> I for one, have never claimed such a thing. I'm only stating that
> IE6/Windows (which I forgot to specify in my previos mail) has
> lousy standard support.

> But having
> IE5-6/PC, knowing it is the most used browser on this planet, and
> also knowing it has one of the worst standard support of all the
> browsers worth mentioning, it makes me sad. Very sad.

Actually, I think that IE6/Win support of web standards is pretty good,
especially when you consider that Microsoft didn't have a great deal of
motivation to improve it. Thanks to the trailblazing of Tantek and the
fellows who came up with IE5/Mac, and the gentle push from the other browser
vendors, IE6/Win supports most of HTML, CSS1, and CSS2.

I have always been under the impression that the tooltip behavior in
Internet Explorer is incorrect. The ALT attribute is for providing a text
description of an image. The TITLE attribute is for providing additional
information for pretty much any element, and as such seems to be a more
appropriate hook for a tooltip.

Simon Jessey

w: http://jessey.net/blog/
e: simon@jessey.net