Re: Marking Up Acronym and Abbreviations

David Woolley wrote:

[snip]

> Because of the level of confusion, and the difficulty of getting anyone
> to comply with the even the most fundamental abstraction concepts in
> HTML, I suspect collapsing them into one category is the only thing that
> might work, for the <5% of people that will bother to mark them at all.

Isn't that a bit defeatist ?  If one were to follow
this principle to its logical conclusion, one would
ditch <em> on the basis that typographers think of
it as a horizontal unit of length and replace it with
<i> on the basis that italicisation is the effect which
95% of its users intend ...  Not exactly /reductio ad
absurdam/, but I think you can see where this "let's elide
potentially misunderstood tags" could lead ...

Philip Taylor, RHBNC