[OT] Re: Pages won't validate as XHTML because of Char Encoding

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 1:14 am, Aziz Matar wrote:
> In order to make my pages valid XHTML 1.0, I am required to specify a
> character encoding. However, in order to be able to easily update this
> encoding in the future, I do not want to use the meta tags.
[snip]
> Does anyone know a way to set this character encoding another way? I
> don't want to use meta tags, and htaccess doesn't seem to work PHP
> wise...

This is off-topic for this mailing list, a php mailing list would be more
suitable.

You can set the default character encoding for php scripts by setting the
default_charset configuration option in the php.ini file:

default_charset = "iso-8859-1"

This is done automatically from around version 4.0, if you are using
something older than that, then you are probably vulnerable to quite a few
security holes, so upgrade asap.

This can probably also be accomplished on a site-by-site basis via an
.htaccess file:

php_value default_charset "iso-8859-1"

For further reference, please try the php documentation:

http://www.php.net/manual/

...or the newsgroup:

--
Jim