Re: XHTML doctype and namespace lookups overwhelm w3.org servers?

I have been getting a similar problem with XHTML 1.1. When "previewing" a
document in an authoring client I was getting a similar error message
(although without a delay). The big difference between my situation and
yours is that the file was saved with an .html extension. When viewing the
file with the browser in the usual way, it seemed to cope with it without
problems. In the end, I decided to remove the XML declaration at the
beginning of the document and put the character encoding declaration in a
META element instead.

Interestingly, I only put the XML declaration in the document to get around
an IE highlighting bug with absolutely-positioned elements. When I removed
the declaration, I was forced to redesign my style sheet to avoid absolute
positioning where possible.

I am sorry I cannot shed more light on your problem.

Simon Jessey

w: http://jessey.net/blog/
e: simon@jessey.net