Re: External links in XHTML 1.1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Etan Wexler" <ewexler@stickdog.com>
To: <www-html@w3.org>; "Simon Jessey" <simon@jessey.net>
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 11:48 PM
Subject: Re: External links in XHTML 1.1

> > Since target="_blank" isn't valid, what is the recommended method for
> > dealing with external links on a site authored in XHTML 1.1?

> I suggest a value of 'external' for the 'rel' attributes of anchors.
> This carries no suggestion of any behavior on the part of the user
> agent, but it is solidly semantic markup. Certainly, nothing stops a
> user agent from considering the 'rel' attribute when traversing links.

Thank you for the suggestion, Etan, and also for the sympathy. You will be
happy to learn that I have convinced my client to abandon the notion of
opening a new browser instance. Instead, the external links will be styled
slightly differently. In special circumstances, the user will be given a
choice of behaviors, with JavaScript being employed if the new browser
instance is chosen, but this will be rare. I will give serious consideration
to your suggestion of marking up the links with rel="external".

Thank you all for your advice on the matter, and I apologise if the thread
is considered "off topic", as David Woolley suggested.

Kind regards

Simon Jessey

w: http://jessey.net/blog/
e: simon@jessey.net