Re: application/xhtml+xml

On Friday, January 17, 2003, 8:05:28 AM, Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:
> > Which user agents can successfully handle XHTML delivered with the
> > application/xhtml+xml MIME type? Is it currently only Gecko-based browsers?
>
> Unofficial test results of some user agents on some platforms can be
> found at: http://www.w3.org/People/mimasa/test/xhtml/media-types/results

Although, this list doesn't really tell the full story.

Opera 7 beta 2 still has major problems with XHTML, such as absolutely
no script executing at all, and frequent crashes. If these issues are
resolved before the final release, it will have (I believe) the best
support for XHTML of any browser.

Gecko, on the other hand, does execute script, but doesn't give you
basic HTML DOM things like document.body, which can cause major
compatibility problems with existing client-side scripts.

Also, neither Gecko or Op7 support document.write in XHTML mode.
And making scripts work as both text/html and application/xhtml+xml
modes really isn't that fun :)

Cheers
--
Tom Gilder