Re: XHTML 2.0 considered harmful

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>>
>> Your second point is that <br/> is easier to edit in a WYSIWYG
>> editor. However this is a red herring since in practice you have
>> already solved the problem: You handle a backspace exactly in the
>> way you would handle a backspace over through a <div> element.
>> After all, stylistically, an <l> element is identical to a <div>
>> element: it is simply an element with 'display' set to 'block'.
>
> Excerpt from spec "The l element contains a sub-paragraph that
> represents a sinle line of text. It is intended as a structured
> replacement for the br element. It contains a piece of text that
> when visually represented should start on a new line, and have a
> line break at the end."
>
> A div has no constraint on leading and trailing CR. You can add a \n
> before and after a div, but I don't see for the moment how you can
> remove those from an l element.

I don't understand what you mean by this. The spec doesn't talk about
carriage returns or line feeds. The only normative part of the spec
you just quoted is "The l element contains a sub-paragraph that
represents a sinle line of text".

The informative part, indicating how to render it, merely says "It
contains a piece of text that when visually represented should start
on a new line, and have a line break at the end", which is perfectly
well handled by 'display:block'.