Re[2]: Proposal for XHTML 2.0: The <footnote> element

Hello,

>> on 15-01-2003 1:16, Herr Christian Wolfgang Hujer at

> This, as well as concerning properties for CSS (e.g. display:footnote), is
> being suggested every once in a while. IIRC it has even ben mentioned in
> either HTML+ or HTML 3.0 draft.
The current approach is as follows (borrowed example from the CSS3 Lists):
<HTML>
 <HEAD>
  <TITLE>Markers to create numbered notes4>/TITLE>
  <STYLE type="text/css">
   P { margin-left: 12 em; }
   P.Note::marker {
      content: url("note.gif") "Note " counter(note-counter) ":";
      text-align: left;
      width: 10em;
   }
   P.Note {
     display: list-item;
     counter-increment: note-counter;
   }
  </STYLE>
 </HEAD>
 <BODY>
  <P>This is the first paragraph in this document.</P>
  <P CLASS="Note">This is a very short document.</P>
  <P>This is the end.</P>
 </BODY>
</HTML>

Which results in the following:

            This is the first paragraph
            in this document.

  Note 1:   This is a very short
            document.

            This is the end.

>>> But I'd not call if footnote - I think it should be more generic since
> one
>>> might want to use if for the bibliography or glossary as well.
> Those are better put separately in an appropriate document. This is then
> linked with rel="glossary".
OR the <ruby> collection. Which also allows to be
backwards-compatible.

>> Probably the better way is to choose some default styles for the most used
>> types for the browsers:
> In HTML???ß You have to have meant CSS.
Nah. :) Lorenzo always means HTML.

> Ceterum censeo footnotes are to be used with paged media only. (In the
> traditional sense of "placed at the end of the page/document".)
I agree. No special media-specific element should be introduced. The
current CSS work allows you to customize the *existing* ones.

Regards,
---
  Alexander "Croll" Savenkov                  http://www.thecroll.com/
  w3@hotbox.ru                                     http://croll.da.ru/