From: "Russell O'Connor" <roconnor@Math.Berkeley.EDU>
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 1:15 PM
To: W3C HTML <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Promotion of XHTML

[To: www_html@w3.org]

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Peter Foti (PeterF) wrote:

> Also, if <br /> in HTML was equivalent to <br>&gt;, then that would
seem to
> indicate that every web browser out there is broken, and should
display this
> as a line break followed by the greater than symbol.  I don't know
what
> logic you are using to determine that <br /> = <br>&gt;, but it seems
flawed
> to me.

Borris is correct.  Observe:

> sgmlnorm _d _c ~/sgml/catalog ~/sgml/15445/15445.dcl "<osfd>0"
sgmlnorm:/home/u2/grad/roconnor/sgml/15445/15445.dcl:28:33:W: characters

in the
document character set with numbers exceeding 65535 not supported
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "ISO/IEC 15445:2000//DTD HyperText Markup
Language//EN">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>TEST</TITLE><BODY><P>break<br />ing</P></BODY></HTML>

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "ISO/IEC 15445:2000//DTD HyperText Markup
Language//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>TEST</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>break<BR>&gt;ing</P>
</BODY>
</HTML>

As you see, sgmlnorm parses <br /> as <BR>&gt;.  The same thing will
happen if you use HTML 4.01 instead of ISO_HTML.

Most popular browsers fail to follow the requirements indicated by
Section
B.3.7 of the HTML 4.01 recommendation.

It blows my mind that the W3C seems to bury it's head in the sand about
the <br /> issues with ``compatibility'' between XHTML and HTML.  I just

don't understand what they were thinking when they came up with such
plainly false claims of compatibility.

_ __
Russell O'Connor            < HYPERLINK
"http://www.math.berkeley.edu/~roconnor/"
\nhttp://www.math.berkeley.edu/~roconnor/>
``[Law enforcement officials] suggested that the activists were stopped
not because their names are on the list, but because their names
resemble
those of suspected criminals or terrorists.'' __ SFGate.com

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
\nhttp://www.grisoft.com).

---