Re: XHTML2 and metainformation

Hi

This might also be of interest to the DC General list?

  http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A0=dc-general

On Fri 18-Apr-2003 at 01:42:23AM -0400, Ernest Cline wrote:

> I am troubled by the way that metainformation is being handled in
> XHTML2. My main concern comes from the fact that the working draft
> allows for multiple profiles, which is a change from previous (X)HTML.
> The problem is that is possible that two profiles could use the same
> metainformation property name for two separate purposes. The example I
> am going to use makes use of one existing profile and one created (but
> logical) one to show what I mean.
>
> In the Dublin Core metainformation scheme the attributes are indicated
> by the prefixing the property names by "DC.".  For example, in an XHTML
> version of a comic book we could have:
>
> However, in the periodical industry, the term publisher refers to a
> person resposible for overseeing the details of getting a particular
> book published, not a company and if DC Comics were to develop its own
> metainformation properties, they might decide to also prefix everything
> with "DC." also and so want to have on that page:
>
> This creates a problem.

Actually there isn't a problem if you follow this draft:

  Expressing Qualified Dublin Core in HTML/XHTML meta elements
  http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/dcmi/dcq-html/

Because a link rel is used to indicate the namespace:

  <link rel="schema.DC" href="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" />

I don't really have any comments of your XHTML 2 proposals that
follow.

Chris

--
Chris Croome                               <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>