Re: XHTML2 and metainformation

Chris Croome wrote:

> This might also be of interest to the DC General list?
>
>   http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A0=dc-general

It might well be, but my interest is in metainformation is limited. I
spotted a potential weakness in how XHTML2 handles it that could be
fixed. If someone who is already on that list wants to get comments
from the Dublin Core people, feel free, but I was using Dublin Core
more as a real world example of an existing metainformation profile to
point out a weakness in how XHTML2 handles metainformation and to
suggest a possible solution, not because of any interest in Dublin Core
per se.

> Actually there isn't a problem if you follow this draft:
>
>   Expressing Qualified Dublin Core in HTML/XHTML meta elements
>   http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/dcmi/dcq-html/
>
> Because a link rel is used to indicate the namespace:
>
>   <link rel="schema.DC" href="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" />

This is a kludgy hack that assumes that Dublin Core has exculsive use
of <link rel="schema.DC" /> and <meta name="DC.*" />. It breaks down if
an author also uses another metainformation schema that does not
respect what Dublin Core tries to reserve for its own purposes. Given
the limited ways of specifying metainformation schema in HTML/XHTML1
it's probably the best that could be done, but it still is a kludge.