Re: My comments on the XHTML 2 draft.

Etan Wexler wrote:
>>I don't think the class attribute should be used [to denote kinds of
>>sections].
>

> This is just the case for which the 'class' attribute is suited.  Can
> you elaborate your opposition?

Because you're not denoting a "class" of content, you're denoting a
"type", IMO. What type of section is this? It's a footer section. Also,
I thought that the class attribute was for author's to add their own
groupings, when they needed them. Surely the standards themselves could
include more specific ways of denoting elements.

>>Maybe a meta="" attribute?
>

> I fail to see how the type of section is metadata.

It's data telling you what that section is about... data about data.

>>Two values I'd [like] to see
>>recommended by the W3C would be "content" and "navigation". This would
>>also replace the need for footer, navigation, etc attributes that some
>>people have been calling for.
>

> I think that you meant "element types" in place of "attributes".

Yep.

> Anyhow, the use of distinct element types allows each a distinct content
> model and a distinct place in the content models of other element types.
> I am not arguing that this benefit is reason enough to add the proposed
> element types, but I am arguing to consider the benefit carefully.

I'm just saying on a base level they're all just different sections of
the content.

>><em><em> should not be
>>used... it seems stupid, IMO. You're either emphasising or you're not.
>>You don't emphasise an emphasis.
>

> Is the following example illegitimate?

Say it out loud. You don't (or I don't anyway) start saying a sentence
with emphasis, and then emphasise something inside that emphasis. An
emphasis should be a small point, not an entire sentence.

--
Lach
Web: http://illuminosity.net/