Re: HTML has, probably, confusing date format

Hi Cyril,

Am Mittwoch, 27. November 2002 01:48 schrieb Cyril:
> > And how am I supposed to *easily* compare Jan / Feb / Mar for sorting?
> > The required hash is too much complication compared to the ease of
> > current datetime comparison.

> At a first glance, I had nearly agreed deciding that I had missed the
> other side of the coin again. But then... If the goal is simplifying
> sorting dates then there is more easy way of a date performing, by a 36
> bits integer of seconds from birthday of Christ till a datetime. E. g.
> 31st of December in the year 2000 at 24:00:00 of old good GMT = 63 115
> 200 000 + 0 (binary: 1110 1011 0001 1111 0101 1000 0110 0000 0000). (I
> don't know why but I don't want this format to be chosen. Do you?)
That's definitely not neccessary.

A date in a format like 2002-11-27 07:13:37 is already perfectly sortable with
any ASCII or Unicode Scring comparison. It's sortably by plane date when you
compare the complete string. No need to choose a non-human-readable format.
This format is a good compromise.

> > Anyway there are only two html elements using an attribute of type
> > Datetime: <ins/> and <del/>.

> (http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#profiles ). And, thanks
> to this format, the trend, the practice of presenting month information
> by digits, may be widely deployed in the future what I consider as a
> main defect of this date format.
Not do I. I regard it's a feature.
The flaw of HTML 4.01 at this point is that it referres to the 29 pages
ISO8601 spec without giving a link. Go to www.iso.ch to find out that even
the PDF version will cost you >100 CHF. That's a real flaw.

> And as a final note, look at the domain addresses of this list. How have
> a month information been presented there?
That's mail and stuff, not HTML / XML. I definitely don't want to have to
parse RFC dates! I hate them. Thanx god there are libraries to do that. But I
do not develop mail apps, I develop html / xml apps.

Anyway I think this discussion is pointless since I think (and hope) they
won't change it.

Bye
--
ITCQIS GmbH