Re: Subheadings desired in XHTML 2.0

John Lewis wrote:
> Hello fantasai,
> Wednesday, November 13, 2002, 4:47:17 PM, you wrote:

>>Here you are not differentiating between title and subtitle in the
>>markup; instead, you are inserting formatting in the form of a
>>colon.
>

> That was my intention. As I understand it this is not necessarily a
> bad thing.

No, not necessarily. It depends on how richly you want to mark up
the text. The richness of markup determines the capacity for
styling, so if you /do/ want the subtitle to be in italics or
spoken with a softer voice, there needs to be markup to indicate
the structure and the semantics of the structure.

>>h { font-size: x-large; }
>>h line { display: inline; font-size: large; }
>>h line:before { content: ': '; }
>

>>The problem with having the main text as 1st-level text and the
>>subtitle as a child's text is that the last CSS snippet would result
>>in an extra space before the colon.
>

> Is there any problem with this?

Yes. Take out the stylesheet.

The Lord of the RingsThe Two Towers

is incorrect.

>>[...] If it's not [the title of the ensuing text], then as a citation
 >>it probably shouldn't be split into title and subtitle lines; the
 >>subtitle in this case isn't the subtitle of the section.)
>

> I don't understand. Isn't it still the subtitle of the book as well?
> And as such can't the line still represent that the second part is a
> subtitle? Since the citation is inside the heading, and the line is
> inside the citation, I would think the line represents a subtitle of
> the book and not a subtitle of the section.

Yes, you are right. The whole discussion, however, began with the
problem of representing actual subheadings for XHTML sections, not
subtitles in citations, so I thought you were trying to represent
subheadings in XHTML, not citations in headings.

~fantasai